John the Baptist: Preparing the Way of the Lord
Sunday, December 6th –
Advent Candle of Peace
We Praise God!
Welcome Rev Megan Penfold
Sharing the Peace of Christ:
Peace before us, Peace behind us, Peace under our feet.
Peace within us, Peace above us, may all around us be peace.
The peace of Christ be with you.
Praises: “I’ve Got Peace Like a River
1) I’ve got peace like a river, I’ve got peace like a river, I’ve got peace like a river in my soul.
I’ve got peace like a river, I’ve got peace like a river, I’ve got peace like a river in my soul.
2) I’ve got love like an ocean, I’ve got love like an ocean, I’ve got love like an ocean, in my soul.
I’ve got love like an ocean, I’ve got love like an ocean, I’ve got love like an ocean, in my soul.
3) I’ve got joy like a fountain, I’ve got joy like a fountain, I’ve got joy like a fountain in my soul.
I’ve got joy like a fountain, I’ve got joy like a fountain, I’ve got joy like a fountain in my soul.
“O Little Town of Bethlehem” #165 (1,2,4)
1) O little town of Bethlehem, how still we see thee lie!
Above thy deep and dreamless sleep the silent stars go by:
yet in thy dark streets shineth the everlasting light;
the hopes and fears of all the years are met in thee tonight.
2) For Christ is born of Mary, and, gathered all above,
while mortals sleep, the angels keep their watch of wondering love.
O morning stars, together proclaim the holy birth,
and praises sing to God the King, and peace to all on earth.
4) O holy child of Bethlehem, descend to us, we pray;
cast out our sin and enter in; be born in us today.
We hear the Christmas angels the great glad tidings tell;
oh come to us, abide with us, our Lord, Emmanuel.
Call to Worship:
One: Now is the time to get ready:
All: Let us prepare the way of the Lord!
One: Now is the time to be changed:
All: Let us repent and seek forgiveness.
One: Now is the time to welcome God into our midst:
All: Let us worship God in humble expectation.
Lighting of the Advent Candle of Peace.
Morning Prayer (with the Lord’s Prayer)
Praise: “Away in a Manger” #149 (Vrs 1,2,3)
1) Away in a manger, no crib for a bed, the little Lord Jesus laid down his sweet head.
The stars in the bright sky looked down where he lay, the little Lord Jesus asleep on the hay.
2) The cattle are lowing, the baby awakes, but little Lord Jesus no crying he makes.
I love you, Lord Jesus! Look down from the sky and stay by my side until morning is nigh.
3) Be near me, Lord Jesus, I ask you to stay close by me forever, and love me, I pray.
Bless all the dear children in your tender care, and fit us for heaven to live with you there.
Children’s Story – “Getting Ready”
We Hear God!
The Word of God: Isaiah 40:1-11, Mark 1-1-8
“John the Baptist: Preparing the Way of the Lord”
Rev. Megan Penfold
Praise: “There’s a Voice in the Wilderness Crying” #128 (Vrs 1,2,3)
1) There’s a voice in the wilderness crying, a call from the ways untrod:
prepare in the desert a highway, a highway for our God!
The valleys shall be exalted, the lofty hills brought low;
make straight all the crooked places where the Lord our God may go!
2) O Zion, that bringest good tidings, go up to the heights and sing!
Proclaim to a desolate people the coming of their King.
Like the flowers of the field they perish, like grass our works decay,
the power and pomp of nations shall pass like a dream away,
3) but the word of our God is steadfast; the arm of the Lord is strong;
God stands in the midst of nations, and soon will right the wrong.
God shall feed the flock like a shepherd, the lambs will gently hold,
to pastures of peace will lead them and bring them safe to the fold.
We Serve God and One Another!
Prayers for Caring and Concerns
Praise: “Hope is a Star” Hymn #119 (Vrs 2)
Peace is a ribbon that circles the earth, giving a promise of safety and worth.
When God is a child there’s joy in our song.
The last shall be first and the weak shall be strong,
And none shall be afraid.
Going Out with Hope
Parting Music: “Let There Be Peace on Earth”
1) Let there be peace on earth, and let it begin with me;
Let there be peace on earth, a peace that was meant to be.
With God as our Father, brothers all are we.
Let me walk with my brother in perfect harmony.
Let peace begin with me, let this be the moment now.
With every breath I take, let this be my solemn vow:
To take each moment and live each moment in peace eternally.
Let there be peace on earth and let it begin with me.
Postlude: “Let There Be Peace on Earth” (Reprise)